Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I am, therefore I blog - part 1

I was at a party the other night. Talked to Damion, who I had met and talked to exactly two years prior, in the same house, even the same spot in the kitchen hallway. We got to talking about the web; blogs, wikis. What's a blog? When does a blog become a web site? Are comments on news items blogs? Who's blogging and why?

We got to thinking and agreed that blogs are everywhere. There seems to have been even more of an explosion in the past 6 months. Even newscasters/sportcasters are quoting blogs as a touchstone of current thought. What's happened? How can so many people have so much to say. And, is any of it any good (mine excepted)?

So who are using blogs and what for? Well I guess I'll start with me.

I had just nailed a letter to the editor about an article I read and was fuming about (I might post it here later on a slow week), got it just right, my own take on the issue that no one has thought of; funny, quirky, incisive. And then, they didn't publish it, because it was too late or too long or they're idiots anyways.

So off to blog land as a knee-jerk reaction. Here, there's no one to edit me, or cut it. I can post as much and as often as I want. The only problem is that only about three people read it.

More later on who's using...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?