Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I am, therefore I blog - part 2

Followup to previous post....
Recap: I was talking about who uses blogs and why, and used myself as the example of the frustrated newspaper letters to the editor writer.

More types of blog use.
Forced to use blogs:
Looking at blogs the other day, choosing which blog host to use, I found the blog of this poor kid. His blog was named 'I Hate Blogs'. The point being that he wouldn't be blogging if it wasn't 20% of his class mark. Yikes! The Digital Immigrants forcing the Digital Natives to dig trenches. I can just imagine a crust of bread and tin cup of water beside the keyboard.

Diary:
Probably the original intent of blogs. Replace that book in the drawer beside the bed. And the best(?) part of all, is that everyone gets to read it. Share with your friends, creeps all over the world. Actually I'm thinking of starting a diary again, the paper kind. Blogging has brought that need back. I used to keep a (sort-of) diary when I was travelling on the road as a musician.
(Late 70's funk band masquerading as a disco band. Long philosophical dialogues about the lack of appreciation of Marvin Gaye in Prince George).

News:
Lots of news blogs happening. A quick way for reporters to post breaking news now? And then there are sites that are part blog/part newsite, or a mixture of both, or something new that isn't defined yet. Tyee comes to mind.

Advertising:
You stumble across these things. Instead of a comments, it's just a bunch of ads and links to stuff to buy. Perhaps another definition of a splog?

Projects:
People doing something, sometimes interesting, sometimes not, and keeping track of them. One guy tracking his gas mileage, another one speaking as a kid just born: 'Hi I'm Tevor, and I'm one day old. I'll tell you about my life.' Maybe the family likes it. Who knows?

Sports:
I must admit I just found a blog on World Cup 2006. I bookmarked that one. Probably the only one I'll ever return to.

Work blogs:
Private blogs used to document work (I'm trying this out at work. Seems better than the binder in front of me. My boss likes it too). There are very few blogging programs that protect users from reading, it kind of goes against the idea of blogging anyway. Public blogs written at work, or after work, as disseminators of sometimes useful 'outside the covers' information and opinions.

That's a start.
I guess the interesting part for me, is who is reading this stuff?
I'm tending to think that blogging is a big personal mush fest.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?