Sunday, August 03, 2008

guzzle guzzle

Another in a series of letters to the editor that never got published...

Jeffery Simpson (Suppose Alberta had this huge surplus... Friday June 27, 2008) informs us of the surplus problems that Alberta will have as oil prices rise. This information, provincial revenues (and in this case, surpluses) rising as energy prices rise, seems to be accepted and unquestioned.

Maybe it's the fact that I don't have an economics background, but I just can't seem to get my head around this. If Alberta has too much of a surplus from high oil proces, why don't they cut their share of oil revenues? The price of gas will be lower for us, and they won't have such a big surplus to deal with.

I know the economics of oil is much more complicated, but I also know I won't be able to get the idea out of my head that I'm conrtibuting to the unmanagable Alberta surplus every time I fill up my gas tank.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?