Tuesday, November 25, 2008

jane austen for men

I'm sure I'm not the first one to say this, but I did think of it myself. Patrick O'Brian and his Jack Aubrey/Steven Maturin Master and Commander series of historical novels really is Jane Austen for men. 

I am very early into the series, this being perhaps the 6th read (including some repitition), and I think I'm starting to get it. The breadth of detail of early 19th century England is amazing. This is the same time period that Jane Austen inhabits. I should probably get back to reading her, but after reading O'Brian, I really don't want to. 

I must admit, I was totally confused reading my first book. It has taken a bit of time to get into the rhythmn of his writing. It is as if he is writing in that time, not of that time. He is writing the same way Jane Austen writes. Some of the scenes; dances, balls, chamber music concerts and dinners, are the same sets as seen from different eyes. 

I have a long ways to go with the Aubrey series, and perhaps these observations won't hold up, but it's an interesting ride.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?